4. Select a role from the Role dropdown. The role you select will determine the permissions the new user has.
WordPress has six pre-defined roles, each with its own set of capabilities:
- Super Admin: This role is the most powerful and has access to all possible capabilities, including network administration features.
- Administrator: This role has access to all the administration features within a single site. They can add new posts, edit any posts, delete those posts, install, edit, and delete plugins and themes. They can also add and delete users and change information about existing users.
- Editor: This role can publish and manage posts, including the posts of other users. They can moderate, edit, and delete comments. However, they cannot change site settings, install plugins and themes, or add new users.
- Author: This role allows users to write, edit, and publish their own posts. They can also delete their own posts, even if they are already published. Authors cannot create new categories, but they can choose from existing ones.
- Contributor: This role allows users to write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them. They can’t create new categories and can’t upload media.
- Subscriber: This role has the least capabilities, with users only able to manage their profile.
Each role is designed to give the site owner the ability to control what users can and cannot do within the site. The capabilities include tasks such as writing and editing posts, creating pages, creating categories, moderating comments, managing plugins, managing themes, and managing other users.
5. Enter the email address or WordPress.com username of the person you would like to invite.
6. Click the Send invitation button to send an email inviting them as a user of your site.
The user you invite will receive an invitation email with details on creating their own account and password. They must accept the invitation before being able to edit the website. Once the person clicks the Accept invitation button in that email, they can access your site under the role you set for them. They will then show up as part of your team in Users → All Users.
Please note that the invited users’ roles and permissions can vary. For instance, an Administrator has access to all features, an Editor can publish and manage posts and pages as well as manage other users’ posts, etc. Choose the role that best fits the level of access and editing power you want the new user to have.